"WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR IN TRAINING”
WATER & WASTEWATER SERVICES, LLC
Water & Wastewater Services is a contract management operations company servicing both public and private water and wastewater utilities. Water & Wastewater Services was established in 1983 and serves as many as 50 different utilities. We are located in Mount Vernon, Washington and serve Snohomish, Skagit, and Island counties.
This position, under supervision, performs
semi-skilled to skilled duties in the construction, maintenance and repair of
water mains and related devices and equipment.
Position also performs other related work as required.
This is the
entry-level position in this series. Incumbents perform manual labor and
a valid Washington Driver's License
willingness to obtain a State of Washington “Water Distribution Manager I”
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Performs manual labor and semi-skilled work in the maintenance,
repair, construction and installation of water systems, including pipe
lines, valves, fire hydrants, pumps, meters, backflow devices and
- Repair service leaks;
- Flushes and disinfects water lines and springs;
- Locates water lines with instruments or from prints;
- Read water and pump meters; check pumps, chlorinators, springs and
- Records/surveys water valves locations and exercises valves;
- Operate a variety of power tools and equipment;
- Change chlorine cylinders;
- Test backflow devices and water mains;
- Keep labor, material and maintenance records and provide to
- Operate company vehicles;
- Perform standby duty; responds and resolves customer complaints;
- Perform related work as required.
- Applicable safety and State of Washington and federal health codes
related to drinking water;
- Basic water hydraulics;
- Simple record keeping;
- Proper methods, materials, tools and equipment used in water works,
maintenance and construction;
- Appropriate safety precautions and procedures in chlorine, traffic
and water distribution practices.
- Read, write and perform mathematical calculations at the level
required for successful job performance;
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled tasks in water works system
construction and maintenance;
- Learn to skillfully operate and maintain assigned tools and
- Perform maintenance, repair and construction work;
- Operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted
in the course of work;
- Satisfactorily follow rules and procedures;
- Be available for standby duty;
- Maintain equipment and tools.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training, education and
experience that demonstrates an ability to perform the duties of the position.
The typical qualifying entrance background is one year of experience in water
works maintenance and construction and specialized training in water
distribution system operation and maintenance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Heavy Work - Lifting, carrying and/or pushing 150 pounds with
frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing 90 pounds.
- Exposure to chemicals while disinfecting/neutralizing chemicals,
such as chlorine in the water distribution system;
- Frequently works around water mains, gas lines, and high voltage
- Works in inclement weather and high traffic locations.
- Must be available for periodic evening, night, weekend and/or
holiday work due to standby duty or emergency callback needs.